View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The IMS bearing is only submerged in oil when the engine is not running and all of the oil has drained into the sump, assuming normal oil fill levels. Once running, only a mist of oil kicked up by the crank surrounds the bearings while the engine runs.

The reason the shaft is full of oil during an extraction is because the seals have hardened and shrunk, allowing the oil to get into the shaft. The fact that the oil found during an extraction is usually rancid is because it has been in there for some time because it cannot drain out when the level in the sump rises after the engine shuts down.

As for oil mist not lubricating the bearing, every LN IMS restrofit (now over some 25,000) except the Solution depends upon the mist to keep the hybrid ceramics lubricated and cooled, And having extracted a few LN bearings over the years, there was no oil to speak of trapped in the shafts.
So, if one just pulls the seals off an OEM bearing it'll get an oil mist, the same mist the ceramic bearing would get, right?

Plus having an open bearing, it would allow any oil that would get into the shaft to drain out. Did I get that right?

Last edited by piper6909; 06-06-2020 at 07:29 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote