View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Tony, one of the reasons why I don't believe that the idea behind the EPS design is a good one, it's because it will fill up the IMS shaft with oil withe the possibility of creating other unwanted side effects like an unbalanced shaft, unwanted inertia perhaps..? However, I am Not an engineer... so please take my comments like a grain of salt.

On the other hand what I like about the IMS Solution is that there are none moving parts and the oil is feed directly from the oil filter (similar as the design used on the Metzger air cooled engines)
It`s a common misconception that the IMSB is running dry and it`s lubricated only by oil mist, therefore some extra oil pressure through the shaft is going to solve all the IMS problems. The IMS is submerged in oil. (Let`s disregard now the seals on the bearing and the original grease pack that probably lasted a few weeks after the first owner started using the car). That`s why everyone who removes the IMS bearing in situ, reports about a quart of oil flowing out from the shaft. So adding an additional oil pressure line into the shaft won`t hurt, but it`s not necessary either. Even EPS claims that on their website, that oil lubrication is completely unnecessary, they just throw it in, because otherwise people would not be convinced it`ll work.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote