View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 05:51 AM   #19
rick3000
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm curious why you didn't then, or don't now, buy a cayman instead?

Back in my miata days, the hardtop was really nice in the winter months! And surprisingly quiet.
Overtime I've come to really enjoy driving with the top down in the summer. But I didn't always have a garage to store the hardtop so it stayed on year round, and up until a year ago my 986 was a daily driver so I preferred the quieter hardtop. I also deal with snow half the year. I'm really happy with my 986, and it is now more of a weekend car now.

I actually had a brand new Cayman rental for a month after my 986 was rear ended several years ago and the shop dragged their feet with the repairs. I wasn't complaining, the insurance paid $150/day for the rental, and it was a fun car. But honestly, I never saw any appeal to buying a Cayman, it doesn't add anything over the Boxster, just less flexibility in terms of driving with the top down. I'm discounting the rigidity because I don't track my cars regularly, and I don't actually think a Cayman looks better than a Boxster with a hardtop. Just my opinion.