View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
tonythetiger
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Porsche’s last published data showed 12.6% failures for single rows, 3%+ for dual rows, and that data is now several years old, so there have probably been more in the intervening time.
Is this publically available and can you reference? Without doubt, the design is prone to failure, and even at the lower numbers, it's disconcerting. Id like to know more as I have found a knack for swapping these out in my simple home garage. (i am not a mechanic by trade) Folks in the industry (such as yourself?) will have the exposure to failure since they come to you when something goes wrong.
I haven't seen an IMS failure, but I have seen 3 different engines with cracked heads, always passenger side on the 3.2L. (high mileage 140K+) Suspension wear is another common issue on EVERY boxster I've owned or seen. Overall, this is a well-made car and the little things that are small frustrations or maintenance like leaking spark plug tubes, water pumps, cracked coils, window regulators, microswitches (everywhere) the visor covers, convertible top, etc. just come with having an older car and don't detract that much from the enjoyment, in fact the projects tend to be fun.
Catastrophic engine failure is different. I am replacing my friends IMS for a 2002 996 in the coming days just because he has been worrying about it for years. As easy as this repair is, except for the exorbitant price of parts, this favor will at least let him sleep easier. However, I regard the 900 price tag for a bearing and flange opportunistic. The pelican retrofit is priced favorably, but I'd like to see a stronger bearing in that kit to trust its fixed.
do others have thoughts?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote