View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Benitom
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
So, the fuel pump is out on my 2004 base. Is it necessary to remove all of the fuel from
the tank before replacing the pump? Also, will I have to have the car recalibrated as some have said needs to be done when finished? I plan on replacing the pump only.
Thanks for any and all advice!
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump.htm

The first step in replacement is to prep the car. Remove as much gasoline out of the car as possible (see photos). Some warnings too:

Always have a fire extinguisher handy in case an emergency arises.

Gasoline is highly flammable. When working around fuel and fuel line connections, don't disconnect any wires or electrical connections that may cause electrical sparks.

Always remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank prior to working on the fuel system.

Do not use a work lamp when working near fuel or fuel tanks. If you need some light, use a cool fluorescent lamp and keep it far away from the pump.

Gasoline vapors are strong, harmful, and can cause you to become drowsy and not think straight. Always perform work in a well-ventilated area with plenty of fresh air blowing through.

Always disconnect the battery when working on the fuel system. Leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes to allow any residual electrical charge in components to dissipate.

Keep plenty of paper towels on hand, and wear rubber gloves to prevent spilling gasoline on your hands

Be well grounded - don't do anything that will create static electricity. Keep all cell phones and pagers a safe distance away.

Run the car so that the gas tank is near empty, and then remove the remaining fuel as detailed in Figure 1
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote