View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #8
kk2002s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
I’ve been obsessed with Porsches ever since I got into cars but never considered an older one, expecting thousands in maintenance annually. I recently saw a YT video claiming they weren’t that bad and I’ve seen a few saying the same thing and read an article or two also claiming they’re not too bad - just typical 20 year old cars.

Is this too good to be true?
Yes too good to be true. If you get one that has been well maintained then you have a fighting chance. You will have to source all parts, Napa only caries oil filters, everything else is online. You need to DIY these unless your trying to lighten your heavy wallet. Once you own you will start to slip into the preventative maintenance black hole (Replacing good work parts just because they are old). Also you will want to put the performance goodies to match the car's performance capabilities, like tires, summer tires. They only last maybe 15-20k miles and you have to find a tire shop that will mount them.
Don't buy a 986 expecting maintenance to be brake pads, tires and oil changes.
Buy it because you want a 986 Porsche Boxster and all the fun that they are to drive and expect that that has a cost to it. (Like anything that truly puts a huge goofy grin on your face)

Last edited by kk2002s; 05-12-2020 at 05:37 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote