View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #8
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Good question. I did not originally plan to add one to my Boxster.

My wife has a Highlander and I decided to install one on her car after a local family drove over their own child in their driveway because they didn't see the child run into the blind spot behind the car. It is a huge problem for SUV's and minivans. https://usa.streetsblog.org/2007/05/24/blind-spots-in-suvs-still-killing-kids/

I gradually upgraded all of the cars in my family's 4-car fleet to double-din head units. (I bought two of the units used from Woody/Itsnotanova for reasonable prices.) The back up cameras are not expensive and its easier to add them while you have the dash torn apart. I had grown accustomed to using the camera in the other cars and when the Boxster's time for an upgrade came, I decided to add it.

When the top is down, the back up camera doesn't add much utility. With the soft top up it is nice to have. It is especially handy for parallel parking and when backing into a space with a parking stop. I consider it a precision-parking aid.

Just for the record, Boxsters are longer than 6 feet and wider than 3 feet.
I've a back up cam in the 2012 Edge. Came in handy... until it petered out at about 125K (now 190K). I had to smirk when I read the "article" to which you referred only because even though my children are raised... and I've no neighborly children...still I pay attention for kids, dogs, whatever... before I get into my truck or car. I haven't missed the truck backup cam for 65K miles now because I'm an adult... and don't need to rely on nanny features. While I can sympathize with the parents who have run over their, or other's kids... they're dolts and idiots who weren't paying attention in the first place. It'd be nice if the "article" illustrated what were the ages of the drivers who backed or ran over kids. I bet it would be revealing.

Yeah, Boss... I know how wide and long is the 986. It becomes obvious everytime I compare the size to my neighbor's 2012 Camry. I'm not saying a cam isn't effective in an SUV, but people need to pull their head from their ass and start paying attention BEFORE they get in ther car.

Cheers.