View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob
Hi guys,

Thank you for the generous amounts of commentary and feedback. I appreciate the thoughtful, non-smarmy replies.

Some of the concerns you guys have intuitively figured out.

1) On reliability, how long can be expected before major repairs? (e.g. ring-job, overhaul, major teardown?)

2) Any known trouble spots besides the Rear Main Seal? Any way to improve the reliability of RMS besides to keep an eye on it?

3) I would likely be keeping the Boxster S in stock trim. Any reliability mods needed? I know to avoid oiled foam air cleaners, and to make sure to change the 9+ qts of oil regularly.

4) What is the 'porous block issue'?

Any other thoughts?

To answer questions posed here:

* I have no qualms about buying from my 'bro. He and I are good friends, and both of us are fanatical about keeping our cars maintained. He is finicker than I am, and won't drive his car in the rain or bad weather. I am happy to make a vehicle a daily driver.

* I'm sure we'll be agreeable on price - that's not an issue.

* Yes, I have driven it once - on a summer day, with the top down. Was expecting to be underwhelmed after driving my RX7, and was surprised that it was fast, super-sharp handling, etc. A terrific ride.

* Totally subjective here, but I think the RX7 is a sleeker design. My reasons for considering a swap is because of reliability and fun-factor. Some have warned me that the costs of maintaining a Porsche Boxster would far-exceed anything I have seen with the RX7. For example, a complete engine rebuild and swap at a reputable mechanic would be $4-5K, labor included, ready-to-drive. I would likely need to do this at around 100-120K miles, from what I can gather. How's it for the Boxster S?

Sincerely,

Rob
1) I don't think there's been any indication that the model year 2000+ engines shouldn't last at least 150,000 miles without any internal work. This strongly depends on how the car was treated, of course.

2) There are several plastic parts that get brittle and crack over time. The ones that I'm aware of are the water pump impeller, the oil separation tank and the spark plug tubes. I bet there are others. Someone else will need to chime in if there are any aftermarket metal replacements. There have been several RMS seal revisions, the jury's still out on if the latest revision significantly improves the situation. The MAF and O2 sensors eventually will get fouled to the point that it will affect the running of the car.

3) Just keep the car well maintained. I think most will agree to just stick with stock parts for maintenance items like spark plugs and air filters. Replacement parts are more expensive than they are for the Rx-7, but if you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the maintenance. The brake rotors are a maintenance item on these cars. They need to be replaced with every couple of brake pad changes.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote