Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Any experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?
I haven't had a set of 4Ss but they always seem to get great reviews. At the time they came out, Conti had the DW but was ready to introduce their new tire called the Sport Contact. I've had a set of DW tires and Conti SportContacts. Both sets of Contis had issues with cupping. When the 4S and SportContact came out, they were taking aim at ea other. The 4S was supposed to be better in the rain than the MPSS, which was a DW strength, and the SportContact was supposed to have better cornering ablity than the DW and more like the MPSS.

Last summer I came across a smokin deal on some Yokohama Advan V105s. TireRack had them on sale for $585. Got Discount Tire to match them. Drove them at Indy and they were OK. They howled a lot in the corners. I'd made some changes to my lines from the yr before and I know I was faster in those sections but I never came close to my 2018 times. The only difference was my tires.

I bought a nice set of Bridgestone Potenza S007A tires for the 2014 Cayman S Wheeler Dealer car I sold last fall. Those tires had a great ride on the street but I never did any DEs with it. That tire was supposed to be the street / track tire in their line-up, which was their "middle tire". They offer a street tire, a street / track tire, and a track tire.

The only reason I haven't bought the 4Ss is because I'm on a bit of a fixed income at this time. Spending money on a premium tire that I'm going to wear out at the track isn't in my budget. If money is not object, you can't go wrong with the 4S. But keep in mind tires are very subjective and depend on what you want them to do - street driving, canyon carving, DE, rain, snow, etc. Each tire has it's own characteristics and might be right or wrong for what you want. The 4S seems to be great at all of them.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 04-11-2020 at 04:20 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote