View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
itsnotanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by trygve View Post
The "upright" or "wheel carrier" houses the wheel bearing. Wheel bearings are a wear item. Depending on your schedule, a wheel bearing may last a year, two years, three years, .... A friend of mine replaces all four wheel bearings in the off-season. I think that's extra work and money that is not warranted. (Admittedly, bearings are cheap.) Should you hear/feel a wheel bearing going bad on a race weekend, the easiest, fastest way to fix it on the spot is to swap in a spare upright. (And then replace the bad bearing on your now-spare upright when you get home.)

You only need two spares because opposite corners of the car use the same part. LF and RR are one part, RF and LR are another part. Replacing it could probably be done in 30 minutes with skill and experience and no glitches. Otherwise expect an hour or two. It should not require re-aligning the car. It requires the right socket for the big axle nut and it needs something like 340 ft-lb of torque.
Exactly what he said^^
The radiator stud that attaches to the car gets fatigued and breaks off. When it breaks it ruins the radiator. Most veterans of spec have learned how to trim the stud and not use that mounting point. It's still a good idea to carry a spare or spares.
I would find a place that can fix those wheels. Don't tell them they're off a Porsche though or it might cost you double
The boxster 5 speed transmission is great for a street car but does not hold up to racing and or aggressive shifting. 3 and 4 develop metal fatigue. A lot of guys swear that you need a transmission cooler but the fastest guy in the country a few years back was racing without one. It can't hurt. Tap the case so cooled fluid is draining back on third and forth gear.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 04-07-2020 at 06:35 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote