View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
truegearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I have fender flares and wider tires on my rallycross boxster. I had to do some trimming on the rear wheel well for clearance. For the front I also had to cut the rocker panel back flush with the wheel well and some of the bumper cover. I don't have the side radiators anymore but the wide wheels would not have fit in the front if I still had them.

I notice you have a wing and a large spoiler on the rear. I've never seen anyone have both and I've never seen anyone use such a large spoiler on a boxster that races at a high speed. The only guys I see using large spoilers are in autocross where they rarely even get out of third gear.

I forget what they're called but that picture of the cup car has them in front of the front tire. I've been told you can find them on eBay for cheap. Do you have those on yet?
Did you widen the front of your car with spacers? I widened mine by extending the control arms, thrust arm, sway bar links, tie rods, raising the strut in the hub and moving the shock tower mounting points out. Not the easy way to go but this avoided increasing the scrub radius and will avoid having to move the radiators and cut the rocker panel.

As far as the wing and spoiler go they look silly but accomplish two different things. The spoiler reduces lift and drag and the wing provides downforce. Take a look at Porsche’s factory wings, they all incorporate both. I run the car in time trials at tracks like VIR and summit point so yes high speed. Back to back runs the wing reduces VIR lap times by 3 seconds, there isn’t a single car in my group without a huge wing running time they’re critical.

Finally if you’re referring to the canards on the cup car I don’t have them. I do though have a large splitter and a hood extractor (you could almost crawl through it). The hood extractor creates downforce by forcing air through it with a longer path than the air traveling over the bumper (same idea as wing). Here’s some photos, I’m going to redesign this to be fed with a diffuser in the splitter instead of a hole in the bumper.

The NACA ducts in the headlights are brake ducts in case you’re wonder.

In process shot showing the inside

Last edited by truegearhead; 03-29-2020 at 07:02 AM.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote