View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
Bald Eagle

I went through the buying process a lot differently, not better, just differently. My son's neighbor was selling his 2000S, I drove it, loved the driving experience but didn't like the color (black) and didn't like the way it appeared it had been maintained (scuffs in leather, scratches all over the car, etc.) so I thought I'd look around.

I saw a private sale on cars.com for a very low mileage (10,500) silver 2000S at about the same price as the black one I had driven. Drove two hours to see it. It looked like it had been sitting in a bubble for 14 years, taken out only to wash and wax. Looking at the garage, landscaping and house, I could tell that the owner was an obsessive maintainer. Had all the service records and discovered it had been maintained by the book at the dealer. He was asking the same price as the black one I had driven and found later that that price was above the asking price for the car at the time.

I bought it on the spot - no PPI.

I don't wrench on it or anything else but I've been taking it to a good indie to do whatever it needs to continue keeping in good stead.

Now with 40,000 miles over the past five years, aside from regular annual service, I had to replace the cv boots. I plan to do the IMS when it needs a clutch.

In 20 days I take it out of storage and can't wait. No regrets for overpaying a little because the car was, and remains, perfect and full of joy.

I will turn 80 this summer, the car will be 20. I intend to keep driving it as long as I can continue to get in and out of it (so far no problems!). I love driving it as my daily driver for seven months a year - top down / driving it as it was designed to be driven.

Good luck with your quest and hope you find the perfect Boxster.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote