View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Any boring has to be super precise to maintain the angle of the crank and/or camshaft to case angle or the pressure on the bearing is likely to be off center creating a ball on race (or whatever design) contact that it was not designed for. So in addition to shavings and bearing selection, you have to worry about precision of machining. Do you have the tools and experience to do it right?
Not that I plan on doing it, but they rent the tools that include a brace that bolts to the block so you have the proper alignment. Take a look at the video. Besides, you're not boring the bearing seat, you're boring a hole large enough so you can pull the bearing out. The part you bore out does not have any contact with the bearing once it's seated. Yes, I thought about shavings, too. But anyone who might be interested in doing it can ask them. I'm sure they have thought of it too.

:EDIT:
So here's what I found in the comments when someone asked about the metal shavings:

The reply from EPS:
"...The key to preventing the shaving from falling inside the engine is the boring tool used. The shaving are pushed out as the mill tool is cutting by the air that is exiting through the cutting flutes. The engine is pressurized from the inside through the oil drain hole with approx 15 PSI. The pressurized engine will have a constant air flow exiting at the boring site prohibiting any shaving from entering the engine. Therefore, our EPS IMS Bearing can be the external solution without dissembling your engine..."

I don't know if that's sufficient or not.

Someone also pointed out that the bearing itself also acts as a dam to block the shavings from getting in.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-23-2020 at 04:14 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote