View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
WizardSmokey
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
I do CNC and 3D printing. I personally use Solidworks for all my modelling, though my design language is very functional and industrial, i.e. lots of hard angles and such. Nothing very pretty.

As far as the 3D printing, I wouldn't print anything for the engine bay. Partially because most printers that most people have access to wouldn't be able to print anything that could stand up to the heat. Because 3D printers print in layers, plastics that might not necessarily melt will instead start to delaminate. There are ways you can print something then treat it so it wouldn't delaminate, but at that point, you're probably better off just buying an injection-molded piece. The only thing I've printed so far that I liked was a series of shift knobs, but they ended up feeling too light, so I stuck with my big metal ball one.

For the CNC, yeah, I'm sure there's a million things that could be made for the 986. I use a small CNC mill at work, but most of the things I want to make for my 986, I would need a CNC lathe for.
Not to mention, half the time, there's not much to be improved on the Porsche parts without a ton of R&D or some expensive material, i.e. titanium. (I'd kill for a few bars of titanium at a not-insane price.)

Though if anyone has any ideas, let me know and I can see what I can do!
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote