View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Russdawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
My 2 cents on the 986 intake system . My 3.2 S from the factory made 250 hp at the crank a same year 3.4 996 made 300 . Some of the increase in the 996 is the bump in displacement but there have been tons of discussions saying the real increase is due to exhaust and intake .

Plenty of easy exhaust options out there but intake is a little harder . Install a 987 air box that helps with flow . Add a larger throttle body that also helps . Add a 996 intake manifold another jump in flow , but to do this additional mounting holes have to be drilled in the 986 heads . A lot of folks don't want to do that . So if someone had a 986 manifold and a 996 manifold sitting on a bench side by side they could be measured and scanned/modeled for 3D printing . If a 996 sized manifold could be made but with the 986 mounting foot print now you might have something .

I am not smart enough to know about port matching or anything else , but if 5-10 hp could be picked up and it's a straight bolt on it could be a winner .

Ah, 3D analysis. Now we’re onto something.

So when I do get my Boxster, the exhaust has to be mostly left alone, as I am one of the many sad Californians I’ll likely remove the mufflers or replace them for weight reduction, but I can’t touch the catted headers.

But intake parts are definitely manageable, and I’m hoping to get to poke around my engine when I do get it. Headers weren’t on my list yet as I thought they were in direct contact with the engine which is a big no no since the engine gets hot! If I was able to find out how hot exactly and a printing material that could withstand that heat, then I would be all for it.

I need to get my hands on most of these parts before I can design and model. That’s the main problem here. Maybe I should ask if anyone in Northern California has a boxster sitting around I could poke at.

But I definitely hear you. Thanks for the ideas.

Also I’m designing for the base 2.5L Boxster. Can I even fit 996 style headers?
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote