View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
Russdawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
One add-on in the fluid domain that comes to mind is this part. It does not add that 700 HP however it definitely helps in scooping a tad bit more air to the intake at both low'er and high'er speed, and helps cooling engine compartment (opposite side). I believe this could be a nice 3D printed item; not requiring a whole lot of engineering (cfd modeling-wise), easy to surface finish, "and functional", etc.

Apologies for the low resolution picture. If you need more just ask and I'll see what I can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Member Ben (not MrBen) made quite remarkable work on the plenum add-ons already however he haven't touched the outer/larger air intake.

That's one of those thing that I trust can't/cannot be 3D printed and can only be achieved using injection molding processes, if the idea behind is to improve what has been engineered by Porsche. Reason for that is inner-wall surface roughness and how this influence air velocity (i.e. turbulent env and dyn pressures).

If you have means to validate the flow and manually polish the interior of that part then this could potentially be a nice add-on to Ben's plenum mod! Are you familiar with CFD modeling?

I am currently not familiar with CFD modeling but I have access to the tools and am a quick learner.

This can definitely be done. When I get my hands on a Boxster I’ll take out the intake assembly and model it in some CFD software (AutoDesk’s Flow perhaps?).

From there I can try to model a new intake assembly, starting all the way at the side scoops like you pictured. I see multiple places that could be improved design wise, actual performance gain wise, there may not be much. But this is more of a fun project than anything.

As far as the internal smoothness, if printing in ABS, you are able to wipe it down with Acetone to smooth it down quite a bit and then spraying it with a sealant or clear coat will improve the surface even further. I can research more on this.

Saying you have custom parts in your car, to me, is pretty cool, especially when you can say you modeled and produced them yourself

And if it turns to be a success, I would be happy to produce these for others.

Thanks!
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote