View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
Russdawg1

Buying driveable Boxster vs Buying not so driveable boxster

Hi guys, second thread

In looking to expand possible options when purchasing a Boxster. I have officially moved on from my research on the Boxster and the required maintenance after realizing that this car is still fantastic despite some not so perfect production runs. This is now my dream car and will work to make this happen no matter what it takes

There's the obvious simple way, buying a functioning Boxster. It drives off the lot, no problems, just keep tabs on the maintenance schedule, and enjoy for as long as you and it lives.

The less simple way would be along the lines of buying a Boxster that very clearly needs some love. Almost a project car. Example, a Boxster that has seen better days interior and exterior wise, unfortunately is an automatic, but inexpensive.

I want to confirm that Inexpensive does = $2500 or so, right?

Being inexpensive, this leaves room for upgrades and/or a swap. Reading the Pelican Parts guide, it seems that you should be able to swap in the Boxster S Engine from a similar year quite easily and painless. But it is not mentioned if you can swap the matching 6 speed manual transmission in too along with it (very key to me).

So can this be done? Can I swap a Boxster S Engine and Manual Tranmission into a standard Boxster with minimal pain and custom fabrication? I have access to a cnc mill to make custom parts if extremely required I would just hope minimal pain means this isn't required.

What is recommended for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience under the hood? Albeit access to just about anything needed to perform this automobile surgery. I have access to a lift, plenty of tools, hopefully some disposable income from getting a cheaper Boxster etc.

What is your recommendation to achieve the best possible performing, working Boxster for the money (I'd say a good estimate is $6000 total that I'd like to spend) with someone that has limited knowledge by himself, but access to plenty of tools, time, and help (you guys! ).

Thoughts, Comments, Jokes, please do tell! Thanks!

Last edited by Russdawg1; 01-16-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote