View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #718
Nine8Six

RGB LED pcb and circuit

Silver986, I'm aiming to get it out as low cost as possible. Let me estimate the number of man hours that will go into the assembly, BOM and handling and I'll revert back with a final number. One thing sure atm it has to be under $199.95

So... let's get things started shall we. Spent most of yesterday's evening researching for what I thought would have been an easy find (a compatible 5mm wide RGB led strip that is) and ended up wasting nearly half day trying. Just nowhere to be found other than those monster size 1/2" wide strips (5050) that could light up a small town. All that to say; Not An Easy Start lol

What do we do when we can't find hardware? That's right, we DIY here at 986forum. So let's make our own in the exact same size and configs as the previous Ver I so all can interchangeable, keeping the same ultra-light design and all that cool stuff. Here I'm using a 1.2mm thick/2 layers stack with 12x (twelve) RGB 3528 LEDs. Identical to the previous set-up with the only exception of upgrading one color for 16 million others.

Step 1: I'm sending this out to a local PCB manufacturing later on today so this should be in-house in a few days only. I already pick-ed up the LED from my local electronic market and been told by the resident experts that they are the most reliable of them all, wide angle projection, has a diffuser overlay and the most popular by the locals. So let's give them a try and we'll move on to the driver and micro right after, and if all goes well!

I'll update with visuals as I go, same old 986forum DIY theme haha!

^ Circuit consist of 4 sections in parallel with each of those section consisting of 3 LED connected in series.
Requires 12VdC and pretty standard 'led strip', we aren't inventing anything here.

^ Identical size to the previous strip we had so no modifications is required to the existing design! I love doing
pcb but dislike routing those things... 12x 4P led didn't make that task easy on that 5mm wide board :/

^ Final result. Although showing green on the software visual this will be manufactured in black. Just to ensure we
aren't getting that green reflection, I doubt but just in case, same price anyway.