View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
Brian in Tucson

Over the years, we've had 4 of the old aircooled VW's. My mom's was a '52, really, really primative. Had semifore turnsignals, 28 hp motor with a starter rope, mechanical brakes (no hydraulics) and it was true, you had to scrape the frost off the inside of the windshield. My dad had it repainted at Earl Scheib after a front end accident. I think he lived to regret selling the little pos.

My first VW was a 62 convertible, top frame on the driver's side was rust locked, but the top could be lowered. Fun until it spun a bearing. Didn't know in those days that I could buy a top frame and an engine for practically nothing. Fender mounting bolts were pretty rusty tho.

My second VW was a 64 Microbus. I repaired the the rocker panels with stuff from JC Whitney, fiberglass, and some bondo and repainted it myself in my Dad's driveway. Actually looked pretty sweet. I rebuilt the engine with jugs, pistons, & gaskets from JC Whitney, might have gotten heads, too. Really ran great. The worst feature was that the gas tank was directly over the engine. The bottom of the tank was the top of the engine compartment. I was delivering pizzas and one nite came out to a strong gasoline smell, the fuel line had started to leak! I sealed it up with a plastic bag from the pizza shop and some black electrical tape, quit for the night, and drove it home. It never leaked again. Especially since I took my mom's duster to the AP store and bought some new hose.

My Brother had a Karman Ghia, automatic stick shift. Pulling a fuse would disable it. (My bro spent a couple of days trying to figure out why the car wouldn't shift, I DIDN'T pull the fuse.) VW's in those days had the funkiest glass fuses, and they would fall apart. Spun a bearing on the Penna Turnpike. They walked away and abandoned it. Mass. car, very rusty!

And now, I have an 01 Boxster in the driveway, needing to be put back together. When it runs it's fun, but lately it hasn't run and I'm not a fan of working on it.

AND, in honor of the death of the gen 2 Superbeetle, I'm going later this week to look at and perhaps buy an 02 SB Turbo S. God help me, it's got 160k miles on it, but it's SuperCheap. I suspect if I live long enough it will be a collectible. Cars in these parts don't rust, tho.

It wouldn't surprise me if the current gen. Superbeetle would come back as an E-car. Aesthetically it's a pretty nice look. I don't buy that it's chick-mobile.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 01-06-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote