View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #1353
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Another test day in an SRF at Buttonwillow. With three days in an SRF now, I am feeling pretty good. Still not up to full race speed (especially while driving a car that I don't own), but definitely making decent lap times.

The weather was clear and sunny but the temps were in the high 40's in the morning, so I was freezing in my super light summer racing suit! I also learned that Hoosier R7 slicks need 2-3 laps to sufficiently warm up in those temps or the car can snap oversteer at corner entry. At least I was able to get back on track without a tow.

You might notice arm restraints next to the lap belts. With no top or window nets, we want to keep all arms and hands in the vehicle at all times. I usually don't wear them in the Boxster because of the roof, roof net, and window net. Its surprising but I don't even notice them when they're on.

In some ways, the SRF is easier to drive than the Spec Boxster - there is a lot more feedback and the chassis does exactly what you expect, but it can be unforgiving if you give the wrong input. On the other hand, the Boxster is easier to handle at the limit and is definitely more forgiving to driver inputs.

The seat in this car fits me a lot better than the seat in the SRF that I drove previously, but that fiberglass seat bottom doesn't absorb much - its a stiff ride.

Overall, a super fun day racing around with some friends.

Did I mention that this car is for sale? Hmm...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-31-2019 at 11:22 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote