View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
RA1

Boxster Suggestions

Hello all, I am an 18 year old who loves cars (specifically porsches) looking to purchase a new car. I am currently driving a pontiac g6 with 74k on the clock that is broken down every other week. While I can afford the repairs, I hate spending my money on such a boring car that I don't really enjoy driving. I am looking at these two boxsters.
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/59200009 https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/57681556

The plan is to trade in my pontiac and pay the some $2k difference in cash.
The problem is that both my parents (complete non-car people) think that this is a terrible idea because the car is extremely expensive to maintain, breaks down often won't be a reliable car. I've done my research and for the most part found that none of this is true and in most cases the complete opposite. I do all of the work myself on my cars.

I guess my question is, to all of the boxster owners, if i were to own this car for maybe 1-2 years and then turn around and sell it... What should I expect to pay in repairs? Assuming the IMS bearing doesn't do it's party trick. If I put 20-30k miles on the car can I expect almost a full return on what I originally paid for the car? Although practicality isn't huge for me, what are some issues regarding practicality that I might run into (besides the obvious 2 seats)

Also, about the two cars I have linked. The yellow boxster with 120k miles is very close to me and I have talked to the dealer, and the price is negotiable, looking to get it to maybe 5500, also I like the color much more than the silver one. The silver boxster with 61k miles is almost 200 miles away from me and the price is FIRM, according to the dealer. I have heard that sometimes higher mileage boxsters are more reliable regarding the IMS issue. But maybe i'm just trying to sell the yellow boxster to myself because it looks better, is closer, and much cheaper :-) Both cars have somewhat spotty service records.

Sorry for the essay that I dropped into the forums but I need to talk to some people that know what they're talking about when it comes to this. Should I go for one of those boxsters? Should I wait for some more, lower mile ones to come along? Should I even go for a Boxster at all? Thanks!
RA1 is offline   Reply With Quote