Thread: Just curious...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
insite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Furthermore, the pendulus cornering of the 911 is unacceptable to me.
Some guys think its great to drive a car that they have to master in order to be quick in it. But I frankly see no point in learning how to drive a particular car before you have even learned how to drive at all. If 'mastering' a rear engine
car produced some insurmountable advantage over mid or front engine cars then I think it would be worth it. But it doesn't. Even if you can drive a rear engine car a good driver in a mid engine config. will be always be quicker.
i'm not sure i agree with that. there are some distinct advantages to the 911 configuration. while it is difficult to master and part of the pleasure is mastering these difficult dynamics, the ability of a 911 to enter a curve way too hot, bleed off speed on entry, and rocket out of the apex using the throttle like a rudder is pretty unique. the ability to lay down the power exiting a corner is unparalleled. a seasoned driver in a 911 on an unfamiliar course will have a distinct advantage, in my opinion, over drivers in other cars. on well known courses, the advantage diminishes, but it really depends on the course. some types are very 911 friendly. others are not.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote