View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Rob175

Ignition switch replacement

My 98 Boxster, as usual is stored away now during the Chicago winters but in the Spring I plan on replacing the ignition switch (electrical portion only, not the entire tumbler and lock set). Have symptoms of a switch going bad: takes longer for radio to turn off after the key is pulled out and sometimes, especially when it's cold out the key doesn't want to turn very easily.

I've learned the part is no longer sold separately from Porsche but Pelican has it and so do Audi dealers and it's only about $100. I've looked at the step by step instructions for a DIY project and from what I can see it's not all that difficult except for loosening the set screws that hold it in place because those are difficult to get to and can have some sort of factory "loc-tite" on the threads.....but do-able...they say.

So as part of doing my do-diligence I stopped at my area Porsche dealer to get a price on the labor charge IF I wanted them to do it.......ready for it?......they told me 2.5 hrs of labor for a total of $875. My "indi" Porsche shop says they will charge me $175 to $225 for the same.

My thinking is that for what my "indi" is quoting (max $225) it might not make sense for me to struggle, scrape a few knuckles, swear a lot, and lay in a contorted position for hours under my dash.

Any thoughts from those that have done it before would be appreciated....Thx.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote