View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Thanks for checking back. Not really. I changed the oil again, used 0W40 this time, and added a can of Liqui Moly anti friction additive (just because). Started the car a few times, let it idle, but I haven't taken it out for a drive yet. There is a brief rattle upon startup, but it goes away as soon as the engine turns over. The car sits there and purrs.
It takes longer now, but the oil light does come on after awhile. I was told by my indy, and others here, that the symptoms suggest bearing damage. Don't know what to make of it.
Unfortunately it sounds like you've got some more serious problems.

Eventually more clearance will occur and you'll have the the light come on at higher RPMs and
eventually spin a bearing due to too little oil.

I lost a 951 engine this way (PO had spun a bearing, and had the engine fixed), it would
only start having issues with older oil, or very hot. Eventually I lost the engine.

Rebuilt it, but would still have low oil pressure when warm -- took me 2 years to figure out
the cam tower had been scored during the first engine failure and never noticed/fixed.

In the interim, I put a new engine in the car.

After replacing the cam tower, I sold it the engine to a friend and that engine still serves my buddy who flogs it at the track with 375HP!

I'm not sure its worth rebuilding a 986 engine at this stage -- you could just drop a junk yard engine for a few grand.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote