View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
Thank you for all the advise. And there is more to this than just hot rodding a Boxster.

Next spring I am buying a 911. I have wanted one for 35 years and I have the money currently in a savings account specifically for that purpose. Once I have the 911, I will sell my Boxster because I know I will never drive it. Same thing happened when I bought the Boxster. I used to have a sweet BMW 635csi. But once I got the Boxster, I never ever drove it. So I sold it.

I have been looking for a project car for a couple years down the road. Something I can build and paint, take my time on, have fun with and not really care about the final value. I do not intend on putting a ton of money into it, mostly a lot of my own time. I have looked at lots of options, but I have not found anything that really lights my fire. No Mustangs or BMWs or Alfas...... Again, I am going to do this on a fairly low budget as far as project cars go.

But I do love my Boxster! Love the way it drives! Great little car! So it occurred to me that a Boxster Frankenstein project might be a lot of fun! A salvage title, roller Boxster S would be a perfect start if I can find one. I do own a Z-top that I never put on my current Boxster that I would probably install.

Then comes the engine. If I am going to do this, it needs to have north of 300hp. And I am simply not going to do an m96 engine. One of those in my life at any point in time is enough for me. I want something I can drive when it is 20 degrees. (I never drive the Boxster when it is cold because I want the engine to stay healthy) And I am open to the challenge of getting everything to work and have something derivable. It has been done, it is just not easy.

Regarding the engine, I have been reading more about the Audi 2.7t. Seems to be a very robust power plant with all forged internals and twin turbos stock. Very tunable, reliable engine. Worst I have heard is they are prone to engine leaks, but that would be addressed before it was fitted to the car. And they are pretty inexpensive to buy.

Anyway, I am going to build something fast and fun and this is my current thinking. I may change my mind, but who knows.
Most people admit it is funner driving a Boxster over a 996, with the exception of the power. They have basicly the same engine just bigger cylinders in a 996. My 2000 has it's original engine with 3.6 Litres & it eliminates all the failure prone oe parts, it passes CA smog. If you need to take it to a mechanic or sell it you don't have to write up a special service manual on how to work on it.