View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I also just got a set of the 18" Carrera Wheels like randelneighbor for my 2000 2.7L Boxster. I got the cheaper Falken 512 tires on the wheels. The folks at Wheel Dynamics were very helpful and answered all of my neophite questions.

I understand that because there iare no offset issues with these wheels all I have to do it take off my 17" wheels and bolt on the 18" wheels and that I do not have to reallign my car, is that the case, thanks,

Ed

Hi,

I don't know where you got your information, but that is not correct. Anytime you have a new set of Tires, let alone wheels, you need to have them dynamically balanced. If you don't, shimmys and vibrations are sure to pop up.

Don't trust a Wheel/Tire seller to do it right. They usually don't and if they do it's usually just dumb luck. Because rarely do they have the proper machine to do the job - a Hunter 97XX machine.

This will make sure the wheels/tires are as close to round as possible and get the balance right. Also, non-authorized retailers often get poorer quality tires than authorized centers. These are often found to be beyond the out-of-round spec for the tire and if you don't check it now, you'll have no recourse with the retailer later.

You can try to get by and maybe not even notice slight vibrations, although on the Boxster, I suspect the differences won't be that subtle. But several thousand miles later, you're likely to see uneven wear to the tires and any small vibrations when new are bound to be amplified. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote