Thread: Rats! Got hit!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 AM   #19
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
So, after pulling out the damaged headlight this is what I found. I don't think this crumpled bit could be fixed - The new headlight, fender, bumper would probably never line up correctly!

It seems that very few bodyshops will deal with Geico - They force the bodyshops to use after market parts and pay a lower hourly rate! So i am gonna have AAA deal with them for me so I can get a fair market price for the repairs or the whole car.
In California, you can use ANY body shop you want. The insurance company cannot restrict who you use. Most will accept any insurance company estimate. I would be surprised if Geico uses a lower rate. From what I know they all use the "Mitchell" guide.

You can also get an independent estimate. Since it's the other persons insurance that is paying, yo can also go to your insurance company to get an estimate and repair done and they will go after the other company on your behalf, unless of course you both have the same company.

If you have different companies, just do everything through your company.
I would also insist that all parts are new. You may have to fight a little. The damage was not your fault, you need to be made whole and he car restored to the original condition
YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 11-13-2019 at 05:36 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote