View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
bg305
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Update...

So in looking into the vacuum leak i encounter more questions:

First, a quick update...

I have ordered a Foxwell****NT520 loaded up with Porsche software.**** I don't yet know when it is coming, but my old scantool is absolutely useless other then reading none existent codes.**** On my other cars it gives me live data and all sorts of data, but on the porsche it can't even read the vin correctly. I want to use the Foxwell to better diagnose if my current efforts fail.

I cleaned the throttle body (more on this late)

I had to get bits to get the MAF out and got them today, so I will be taking it out to clean it, doing the oil change and****fuel filter change.

One way to check the vacuum is to open the oil cap with the engine running, which brought me to the following new discovery / question:

Does a oil - air separator fail suddenly?**** When I cleaned the throttle body I noticed a decent amount of oil in the intake plenum (see pics).**** Now I am (all of the sudden) noticing a large amount of white smoke on startup and when I took the oil cap off a pretty loud whistling noise which I read is caused by the extra negative vacuum experienced during the failure of the separator. Prior there may have been small amounts of smoke on super cold starts, but nothing like what i have seen in the last couple of days.**** I really had not noticed anything before my issues started and it seems like a rather sudden failure.**** I instincts tell me something like an oil-air separator would fail gradually, with more smoke appearing at startup, etc.**** Either way, could it be the oil in the intake that is causing my 'sudden' loss of power in the low revs and idle issues?**** I would think oil being sucked in to the combustion chamber would have a negative effect and possibly be fouling my plugs too.

Here is the oil i found when I cleaned the throttle body:

and here are before and after pics of the throttle body

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote