Thread: Gahh top straps
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Update

Just for a little background, I purchased my glass window GAHH top back during April, 2005, not long after they were released. I didn't have the glass separation issues like so many, but had problems with the edges of the top not properly closing inside the grooves of the black trim pieces adjacent to the side windows. I also had a problem with too much stress being put on the loops on the inside of the top. The Velcro failed and the two halves that make up the loop just dangled. While attempting to diagnose the problem my installer pointed out a missing pin on the assembly just to the left of your head if you are sitting in the driver seat. I replaced the pin, but it didn't help. I later discovered the pin had fallen out again.

Recently (10/1/06), I was washing the car and discovered two spots along the top of the glass window where the glass was separating from the fabric border. It took 18 months, but my glass had begun the often read about separation problem. I took some digital pictures and sent them to GAHH. Today (nine days later) I picked up my car after having a brand new top installed. GAHH has been great, as others have reported.

I decided to use another local installer that I've heard great things about. When I dropped off the car I told him about the issues I had been experiencing (in addition to the glass separation problem). He rather quickly told me he thought he knew what was causing the edge alignment and Velcro loop problems. He told me about a plastic piece that often breaks preventing the top from raising and lowering properly. In fact, he showed me the Porsche part he keeps in stock due to the failure being so common. Both of these parts were broken on my car and had to be replaced. My guess is these parts are easily broken when taking the old top apart for an installation of a new top.

Only time will tell if my top will function properly long term, but I have a good feeling. If anyone is still having this issue, chances are you have the same broken pieces.

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 10-10-2006 at 04:35 PM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote