View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #39
WizardSmokey
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Alright, it's story time.

Wednesday night, some stole the keys to the racecar. Not the whole car, just the keys. So we promptly stayed up all damn night, calling 29 different locksmiths in the area. Out of all those, one said he could make a new key, but it would take a week.

The last one we called said he'll be right over.

His name is Sean, and he made a new key for my 986 in about 16 hours. He showed up at midnight, picked the driver's door lock to get the pins, then took the immobilizer back to his shop to code the new key's chip. He delivered it the next afternoon, we plugged the unit back in and etc, and boom, running racecar.

We had been planning on going to all 3 sessions of a Time Attack at Adam's Motorsports Park, east od L.A., but because of the key thing, we were barely able to throw everything in the car, jump in and brave SoCal rush hour traffic to drive 100 miles to catch only the last session, but we at least made it and was able to check the place out. Got 9 laps, and set some very respectable lap times considering we had never seen the track before. It's a kart track they they'll open for cars every other weekend. It's tight and technical, and for the most part feels like an autocross but with one decent little straight up the back. We were able to come 3rd overall, and if both of us hadn't been in the car and we had more laps, we're confident that we could have gotten much higher.

The less than stellar news is, now there's an engine noise. To me, it sounds like some piston slap. Most likely the results of tracking the car remorselessly without doing anything about the oil starvation issues the M96 is known for.

Not that this is totally unexpected, or even really disappointing. I've been just waiting for the 2.7 to go, so now I can start looking into a 3.2, or 3.4 maybe.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote