View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #5
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Thank you for the replies... I know my obdii scanner can show pending codes. When I was looking at boxsters to purchase one of the ones I looked had a pending code for an o2 sensor. So far no codes at all, pending or otherwise. I also just had the car inspected in NY state yesterday and they hooked it up to the shop computer (not porsche shop) and said nothing. (i have had them tell me there were pending codes before on other cars when getting inspected and that they would clear it and I had to drive to see if they resurfaced.

I will try the MAF disconnect and will look for leaks. It seems to have been getting better, I drove it yesterday 20 miles and while it still felt weaker then usual below 3k rpm, the idle was much improved (honestly if i was not looking for problems I would not notice the amount it moves around now). Since I have only had the car a week and am a bit scared to lay into the throttle now, I am honestly thinking the car could be normal and just seems under powered because of the way I am driving it.

I am going to do an oil change and inspect the oil and filter, I also got a fuel filter, air filter (stock paper one). So I will report back after i change the maintenance items and inspect the oil (might be a bit have a busy week coming up).

If there was an issue with the VarioCam solenoid/actuator is it likely that i would likely have codes or pending ones?
Itsnotanova is correct a vacuum test with a proper vacuum gauge is an important test to do.
You are looking for 18-22 in/gh with a steady needle at idle.

The Variocam solenid/actuator works as an on off / or in out actuator that ingauges around 1500 RPM (I think) and then deactivates around 5000-6000 I think, not positive on the RPM's Anyway like most things it will have acceptable wear limits. If they fail I think they can throw a code but not positive.
There are also chain tension pads that wear and cause camshaft deviation.
If you have a OBDII scanner that can read camshaft deviation the acceptable limit is +or- 6 degrees.
With all that said I would stick with simplest most basic things first like the vacuum test. and work my way up step by step.
Something you do not mention is how many miles on the car?????
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote