View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #11
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
Oil?? Mobile 1. How does that relate to tires?
It's an inside joke. Nothing elicits more of a 'hot button' reaction than someone asking what oil they should use. #2 hot button topic is tires. Everyone has their favorite and can be passionate about their choice, leading to some epic 'discussion' threads. And one person's experience with a tire might be very different than another's (have you read the comments in TireRack?).

There are lots of items that factor into picking the right tires and everyone's needs are different. Tire performance is just part of the equation. Ride, quietness, long life, etc are also part of deal and can vary greatly. Some want performance on the street or track, some want high mileage or a nice ride, some want all season, etc. You mentioned you want street performance. If price is no object, there are a multitude of options but you generally won't go wrong with Michelin. They tend to be the top dog that all the competitors chase. Continental, Yokohama, and Bridgestone are quality competitors to Michelin. Bargain options may fulfill some of your requirements but may fall short in others. Maybe you're willing to give up something for a lower price (like ride or quietness), maybe you're not.

I just bought a set of Yokohama Advan V105s after having Conti Extreme Sports for several yrs. The Yokos have been excellent street tires. But one of my requirements is for my tires to also be good on the track. The Yokos were predictable but a little more 'goosey' than the Contis and howled more. However, I had issues with cupping on most of the Contis I had.

Nothing wrong with asking, but you'll need to parse thru all the 'answers' you get and figure out what's best for you.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-10-2019 at 04:39 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote