View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc986 View Post
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions... I've driven a couple of times to work and back with the new water pump and thermostat, and -- knock on wood -- things seem to be going alright.

I did end up just collecting and reusing the drained coolant. I did filter it through a cloth, even though there were only a few particles of debris (most likely from the loosening of the hose clamps). I was able to use my torque wrench on 5 of the 7 water pump bolts, and 1 of 4 thermostat bolts. The rest were tightened by feel. Does anyone else do this, or is there a super small version of a torque wrench that can fit into and around the water pump?

Overall, I lost about a pint of coolant, which I replaced with distilled water. The whole engine sounds remarkably better with the new pump.

Thanks again!
Tightening by feel, if you've a handle on it (figuratively speaking) should be fine. Keep an eye out for leaks for a few miles. I was in the same position, literally, and by feel tightened all my bolts. I didn't have confidence in the small torque wrench I had, and wasn't prepared to drop the quid for confidence.

You should be fine.