View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
Renos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Sorry I was thinking you had a cold start problem.
Every aspect of modern day engine operation and management is via electrical signal. You on your 2002 Boxster and I on my 2000 S don't give the engine fuel or even air. We just push a pedal that is connected to a potentiometer and the ECU does everything else.
So yes a failing voltage regulator could be the root of your problem. or at least a contributing factor.

So I would replace the voltage regulator first as it is a known problem.

If you still have issues.

I would still do a vacuum test with a proper vacuum gauge as that simple test can give you a lot of info on general engine condition. Vacuum leaks can cause a lot of tail chasing.

Also when you replaced you plugs did you check the condition of the coils??? No cracks??

Then:
I would do a fuel pressure and volume test next.

If you have disconnected your battery for any reason you need to recalibrate your throttle. (gas pedal).
If I remember correctly you reconnect the battery.
Turn the key on for 1 full minute ( do not start engine: do not touch the gas pedal).
Turn the key off for at least 10 seconds then start the car and let the computer re-adapt.
Coil packs look brand new. In fact I noticed they are the updated coils with the thicker mounting holes and longer bolts.

I have a fuel pump coming in and the tube I mentioned had a leak, as well as the voltage regulator. I am still curious about the condition of my aos given I had some oil in the intake but didnt seem like much.
I could go ahead and try for another maf while at it. I will try to have the wife get these tests done given I can't do a thing for a month.

I did replace a fuel cap because of cracked seal and I guess it got my emission leak out but I still also worry about that fuel smell. I wonder if I have a combination of problems going on. Maybe the regeneration valve is failing or crank position sensor. Very confusion with this issue.

All I know is car running lean under acceleration and the crank issue is a major concern. I also noticed since we got the car that I have rpm hunt / bouncing in 4th and 5th gear from 1400 to 2200 rpm. Pretty often too. I would say every second or maybe 1.5 times a second. It jumps up maybe 100 rpm and back. Dunno if this is another contributing symptom but as easy as this car is to work on, it sure is complicated compared to my 2008 mazda mx5.

Last edited by Renos; 09-10-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Renos is offline   Reply With Quote