View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Belt tensioner inquiry

I believed a noise surfaced after a long drive yesterday. Nothing that causes me worry. Yet. I pulled the engine cover behind the seat, and the top engine cover... thinking I might hear from the the noice might be originating. That said...

I remembered advice shared on this board to remove the belt to ascertain if a noise might be internal. I've removed/returned the belt once before when I replaced the WP. Anyhow... I started turning the bolt on the tensioner... it starts to "loosen" the belt... but I find that I'd have to slkip something under the belt on a pully to "lift" the belt off. When I was turning the bolt on the tensioner, and before there was suficient "looseness".. the bolt wanted to turn (counter clockwise of course), and it did, but then there was a point where the bolt would keep going counter clockwise without the tensioner itself moving... almost like if I kept turning that bolt it would come off.

Am I missing something? When last I removed the belt I recall I could "torque" on theat tensioner bolt fairly well and the belt came off without having to encourage it off. I hope that makes sense.

Question: Should that tensioner bolt feel like it is just spinning? Should I have to slip a screwdriver under the belt, while loosening the tensioner, to get the belt off.

Thank you.