Thread: '98/'99 boxster
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
old911doc
I have three '97 Boxsters, mileage at acquisition ranging from 17,000 to 165,000. My suggestion, for a car under 200,000 miles, largely LEAVE IT ALONE! That is, mostly I would address issues only as they become symptomatic, i.e. leaking oil from spark plug tubes, intermixing or leaking oil and coolant from oil cooler O- rings, smoking exhaust related to air-oil separator failure, etc.
The one exception I'd suggest, for any Boxster that might get rained on, replace the factory plastic box for the immobilizer module ( under the driver's seat, of all places) with the aftermarket waterproof one from ECUdoctors in Miami. It's $150 and takes about an hour to install ( requires removing driver's seat, kinda heavy to lift). While you're at it, drill a few 10mm holes in the floor to drain water should it get in the car. This project is easier than changing oil as it does not require lifting the car.
Also, I'd consider a new set of tires , regardless of tread depth, based on the age of the tires, seven or eight years max.
An issue that old Boxsters often develop is disintegration of the lightweight 'foam' covering the movable vent doors inside the heater box behind the dash. The fragments blow out the various air outlets on the dash. The repair requires disassembling the dash practically down to the firewall, disconnecting the coolant lines to the heater core, discharging and later vacuuming and recharging the a/c. Only a few hand tools are needed, but an A/C vacuum pump and gauges are needed to recharge the opened system. With the heater box out, the doors can be covered with tape (I use fiberglass cloth and resin) to replace the crumbling foam. Material cost less than $100.
Otherwise, as you would upon acquiring any older used car, you would replace all the fluids, inspect the brake pad thicknesses and replace pads and discs as needed.
My opinion is, a Box is no more challenging to keep up than anything else, and a darn sight more worthwhile.
And, finally, JOIN THE PCA! The best money you'll ever spend on a Porsche.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote