View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
RandallNeighbour

I could go on and on about speeding ticket stories, but frankly, the ones I talked my way out of are far more interesting.

I told one cop that my wife (who was in the car) had just told me to slow down because it was raining and the MR2 I was driving could not be easily seen on dark, wet roads. He left me leaning against his cruiser in the pouring rain while he jammed himself and his belt full of gun, clips, radio and cuffs into my tiny MR2 driver's seat and shut the door fully to have a conversation with my wife of 6 months.

After their oh-so-long conversation, I guess he determined I was thoroughly wet and pried himself out of the car, telling me I had a wonderful little woman and I should have enough common sense to a) slow down to keep her safe and b) listen to her when she talks because she's a lot smarter than me. (He was not wrong on either count, by the way.)

He then told me that he'd sent a kid my age to the morgue that night for stupid driving and he'd hate to do it twice in one night because that's more than a cop can easily handle... so for his sake, would I please slow down and get home safely?

I got the point and drove home carefully and a little under the limit.

I haven't received a ticket in something like 15 years because I just don't drive crazy in populated places. I guess I just grew up.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote