View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
jreissenweber1

New member intro and a few ?s ..

As an introduction to the forum ..

I am 71 and have been an avid car enthusiast all of my life, growing up in Detroit and having worked for Ford Motor Company for 20 years.**** I have been lucky enough to have owned several classic Mustangs, 3 Corvettes including a '72 454, a 67 Alpha and a Fiat 124 and have driven McLaren Mustangs, Shelby Mustangs and a '64 Shelby Cobra.**** For the past 25 years my driving has been rather a mundane split between a jeep and a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I am currently going thru some intense theropy for PTSD (Vietnam) and have decided to 'live' once more and want to buy Porsche Boxster and recapture the thrill and enjoyment of driving.

I have been researching for the past several months (including test driving) and am approaching actual purchase time.

I have a few questions I'd like to throw out to the forum to help point me in my final search.

Reliability IS an issue as although it will be a 2nd car, I plan on taking several extended road trips to include even California to the East Coast and back.

I started off looking at ~2000 986s and quickly found I preferred the S (3.2 litre) model (I am old - not dead).**** It seems to me that cost (including purchase price plus required repairs/upgrades including IMS) is roughly $15K depending upon miles.

I then drove a 2008 rs60 spyder for a couple of hours - what a beast! I would never have thought of buying anything but a manual .. but .. and the PASM and the Sport Exhaust were thrilling ... and I felt the car was abit (perhaps more than abit) too much for what I could handle at my now reduced reflexes and reactions. So I drove a 2010 2.9 litre with PDK .. and it has the overhead airbag ..

and now after some extensive research it seems if I look hard enough low $20K can fetch one although I probably will have to go out of California to get one - question is will it pass CA smog?

Two last comments. I do really want to try my hand at autocross .. just for fun. And as I am on a fixed income, I don't have money to just throw at this.

So that is where I find myself today ..****

only to add that I do live in San Francisco with no garage so it will have to be parked on the street - possible solutions a hard top and/or alarmed car cover.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote