View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM   #19
bcrdukes

Hi folks,

I'm a bit late to the game, but I wanted to chime in to let you folks know that I am running the Koni Special Active (aka Koni FSD) shocks on my stock suspension.

Like the original poster, I did not want to lower the car, and for me, it was somewhat of a daily driver on terrible Canadian roads (Toronto, for those of you have been here) and some weekend canyon carving fun. I did not want to risk lowering the car in case I would scrape the living guts out of the car's underbody, mainly because of where I live, and where I work (I've never seen speed bumps so aggressive in my life.)

I've been running the Koni Special Active / Koni FSD for almost a year, and quite happy with them. They are very compliant to all the bumps in the road and on our freeways/highways, but firm up when you take the corners, especially when you take the sweeping entries or exits to and from the freeways. The car feels planted, and I am confident in taking it at a comfortable speed. But something to be mindful of is not to compare them to JRZ, Ohlins, or Bilstein coilovers, and I am unsure whether it will shave off a few seconds off your weekend trackdays. I know a few guys who run them on their 986 and 996s on the track, and managed to improve their lap times, but this is only anecdotal evidence. The guys daily drive their cars, and were cognizant of the fact they are not to be compared to coilover setups. Once or twice a year, they have a sale on their products in which I took advantage of, and also got a pre-paid Visa gift card as a nice bonus.

Dollar for dollar, I feel the Koni FSD / Special Active are a great buy for when replacing your worn out/tired stock dampers. Given that I am in the Great White North, the cost for original Porsche or Bilstein replacements end up costing more than the Koni dampers. I think you guys in the US get far more better options without having to deal with insane duties, taxes, and all sorts of fees. Koni North America's support has been great in answering all my questions, so I am satisfied with their customer service, for those of you who care.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-08-2019 at 05:48 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote