View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #80
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronjoy View Post
This is a great post, thanks very much. The diesel as a cleaning agent seems to work really well. Interesting the ims brg apparently had LN update but clutch wasn’t done? You seem to approach this job with confidence and inspecting/rebuilding accessory components while they’re in your hands makes good sense. I wonder what your career field is. It does appear the cleaning removed the factory applied anti corrosion material. Any thoughts about that or is living in Calif and no salt the answer? I wonder if you had the pistons with valve contact checked for damage. It would be interesting to talk to a factory engineer re oil level during operation under various conditions. Sorry to take so much of your time, thanks again for your post
I`m glad you like the post. This engine was totally untouched before me, had the factory dual row bearing and seemed to be perfect. Since I pulled it out and has 100k miles in it I will have to find some replacement. No LN update. Corrosion is not an issue here in California, also most of the engine is covered underneath so I`m not concerned about that. The engine parts that are coated are aluminum parts, that can be damaged by very aggresive corrosives, like salt as you suggested. But who uses a boxster in winter? No apparent damage on the pistons, I think they are good to go back. I`m an amateur hobby mechanic, my career field is biology related.

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Homeoboxter; 05-20-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote