View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #5091
piper6909

Just finished replacing the water pump, thermostat, oil cooler seals and trailing arm links (tuning forks).

The PITA bolt on the water pump wasn't so bad. My Craftsman 1/4" drive with an 8mm deep-well socket fit in there perfectly to break the bolt loose.

The I used a regular socket with a Harbor Freight swivel attachment to pull it the rest of the way by hand.

In addition to a bit of play on the pulley, once I got the pump off I noticed some crustiness, looks like it may have started to leak from the weep hole.

But the impeller was intact! :dance:

Turns out this must have been the original pump, since the gasket was never cut. Not bad for 91K miles, I guess. (although yesterday I changed the WP on my Dodge Grand Caravan with 163K miles and it, too was original)

The new gasket got a little janked up during shipment. When I first started the car I had a little coolant weeping at the gasket, but after re-torquing the bolts it seems to be holding. I'll have to keep an eye on it for a while.

And no more annoying clunking when I go over bumps with the new tuning forks! :dance:

Last edited by piper6909; 06-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote