View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #1253
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Ok, now let's talk about RACING at night...

It was dusk when I started the race at 6:30pm so I didn't need my sunglasses but I didn't need my headlights either. There was more than enough light to see where I was going.

I had a very good start of the race and passed a few cars. Then I settled into a rhythm and was driving to a pre-planned lap time so some of those cars caught and passed me. It was a 3 hr race so I was sticking to the plan.

The first pit stop at 45 mins went fine but it felt like total chaos! I did spill a tiny bit of fuel but the stewards decided to not levy any penalty so I was quite pleased.

There were 5 other Boxster's in the Open division and with 60 min complete, we were running 4th of 5 but I figured that some of the other cars may not have done their first pitstop yet.

Eventually, complete darkness enveloped the track. Its was DARK. The pit next to us had a generator and some lights which threw a glow onto our operations but otherwise it was pitch black dark. The track didn't have any lights but they had added some small reflectors to the curbing on the inside for the track to help drivers find the apex. Did I mention that this sounds a LOT better than it actually works?

As expected, we were running 3rd of 5 when Galen ran low on fuel and came into the pits for me to finish the race. Please understand that Galen had the advantage of going from dusk to dark gradually which allowed him to maintain fairly good lap times.

When I went out in the dark, my first thought was, "what the fu&k was I thinking when I signed up for this? I am going to die". It was a lot like going up into the canyons at night where your headlights are the only light (and which don't angle into the corner very well). Then imagine doing that at 120mph. It was like driving on pure memory because I couldn't really see into the corner for the apex, so I just had to turn in at the usual point and head towards where I expected the apex to be and then then do the same on turn exit. It was harrowing.

But like most things, your brain adapts and pretty soon you get used to not being able to see into the corner and you just keep your right foot planted into the throttle.

Also, you have to race with your rear view mirror since the faster cars come up on a Boxster SO INCREDIBLY FAST. The key is to maintain your racing line (so they know where you're going) and let them work around you. Its intense but it all works out pretty well if everyone is on their game.

At the end of racing for 3 hrs, we finished 3rd of 5, but we were only behind 2nd place by 14 seconds! I was quite pleased the we did pretty well, didn't catch anything on fire, didn't crash the car, and the car ran flawlessly (and near or at engine redline) for 3 hours straight.

It was an awesome experience and I hope that the POC races again at night next year so I can do it again. Only better next time.

Unfortunately, my in car video cameras didn't work at all so all I have is a short video clip that I took just before I got back into the car for my last stint in the dark...

I both love and loathe night racing...

Done several 18's, 24's and a 37! One weekend I was "lucky" to be woken after ~2 hours sleep because the next sequence driver refused to get in the car -- the night racing scared him before he even tried it! I never actually drove that track in the daylight :-)

You definitely learn car control, as you often find yourself reacting to the line of the moment!

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote