View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
BoxsterSteve
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
Hello fellow forum members; introducing my newest project. I'm 46 and enjoy project cars; I've owned multiple Porsches and BMWs in the last 20 years.
This is my newest project - 99 base Boxster with 118k miles; purchased off local Craigslist for $3000US after a minor front end collision. No records of any sort. The car had a techart style body kit and wing, GT2 front bumper cover, huge 19x10 deep dish wheels, Top Speed headers and exhaust, and a faux carbon fiber paint job. Mechanically fair but needed TLC. Brakes were completely worn out, shocks/struts were done, windshield was cracked, and the top latch was broken (actually, the brass nuts were split so the latch could not be bolted in place and was just hanging by the wires). The top rattled like crazy over rough roads, and it had an oil leak.

So I bought some replacement body panels off fellow forum member DFreswick (local to me) along with some beautiful OEM Litronics. Bought a set of dirty OEM Boxster S 17" wheels and tires for $300, also off local Craigslist. Replaced the body panels, welded up the holes in the rear deck, fixed some hail damage, and painted the car myself in my garage. Prefer a more OEM appearance so off came the techart body kit.

Replaced brake rotors, pads, sensors, fluid.
Replaced windshield. Removed ugly window tint.
Fixed the broken top latch with M6 nutserts (thanks to this forum)
Replaced struts/springs with H&R sport springs and Bilstein B8s.
Every suspension component replaced.

I drove it to work a few times with the body sanded and ready for paint.

After painting, this is wet sanding the car. My 74 914 project is on the lift.

[img]http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02/IMG_2224_1_1549046730.jpg[/img
Digging your Ravenna Green 914!
I kinda liked the Boxster freshly sanded... reminded me of the General Mayhem http://986forum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21940&stc=1&d=15591751 12
Attached Images

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote