View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
wmjosiah

Best suspension for street and occasional track/autocross use

Hi folks,
I took a drive up through the mountains of NH today and it's clear to me that the stock shocks are really tired on this car - it takes a while to "settle", and it feels a bit squirrely. When I bounce the rear of the car, it goes down, up, down, settle, instead of the tiny-bit-of-down, up slowly into settle that my MS3 with Bilstein HD's does... and the right side is much worse than the left, leading to that awful boat-ey feeling because the car rocks unevenly. I had fun anyway (and wow are those brakes amazing), but it wasn't, shall we say, confidence-inspiring.
I've always loved Bilstein HD's (apparently they call them B6's now), and I've put them on almost every car I've ever owned for a long period of time - my S6, my 5KCSTQA's, and my MS3. To me, they are the perfect mix of upgrade with streetability.
I've been reading about the Bilstein PSS9 and the M030 upgrade kit, but it sounds like the PSS9 is stiffer than the M030, which is stiffer than stock, and also the M030 sounds like it lowers the car.
One of the things I really love about my '01S is that I don't really have to be that careful with it as far as ride height goes - it's a pretty normal height, and I'd really rather not lower it at all, not even the 15mm or so that it sounds like the M030 kit does. Maybe that's not a big deal though. I will track it occasionally, and autocross as well... though primarily this is a daily driver. This car has 169K on it and I appear to be driving it around 20K miles a year. I drive it more often than anything else, and I don't see that changing.
Does anyone have the M030 kit on a daily driver? I'm in New England - we have rough roads everywhere all the time. I'm really leaning towards just getting a set of HD's, but I could be swayed to the M030 kit or maybe Koni FSD's, which I did enjoy on my Jetta TDI... opinions?
'96 K2500 Diesel 5-speed with DB2/4900 conversion

Last edited by wmjosiah; 05-26-2019 at 07:48 PM.
wmjosiah is offline   Reply With Quote