View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #1250
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
That blows my mind that you drive your spec car on the street. I'm thinking you're the only person in the country that does that. I've always wanted to say that's way cool.
There is a fine line between brilliance and idiocy. And I've been known to cross over to the wrong side on more than one occasion!

My friend and POC BSR Champion Alex Bermudez and I decided to build street legal BSR/SPB's so we could drive them to the track, race, and then drive back home. Much to most people's surprise, we didn't do it to save money or because we couldn't afford a truck/trailer.

I mention that because I occasionally get comments like, "Hey Tom, I know a guy who's selling a truck and open trailer for super cheap. I know that you're strapped for cash (which is why you drive your BSR to the track), but he said that he just wants to get rid of it so he'll cut you a killer deal".

I appreciate the offers but we did it because that is how the cool amateur racers did it back in the 1950's and 1960's. If you recall, James Dean died while driving his 550 from LA to Laguna Seca to race. We wanted to re-live that old school approach to racing.

And I've been doing it that way ever since.

This summer, I have four far away (5-6 hours one way) events that I plan to attend; two trips to Laguna Seca and two trips to Sonoma Raceway (aka Sears Point, aka Infineon). Check back and see how much I love driving my race car to the track after that!

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.
Attached Images

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-22-2019 at 06:29 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote