View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
David N.

Quote:

"I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the 'S' would always be at a premium. Do you mean that it simply sells for more than the Base? That would figure since it's original MSRP is higher. Do you mean that they sell for more than Edmunds or Kelley state are the used values of the 'S'? If so, and all things being absolutely equal (same miles, color, options, zip code) then that would indicate a lower than anticipated depreciation, and would truly be a premium. There are Base models which sell for more than some 'S' models, and if one is looking for a used car, they should probably go for the most car for the money, Base or 'S'."

Originally Posted by MNBoxster

I meant for the same year model, the S's were always a lot harder to find, and when compared same year, the price difference was fairly substantial Base to S (15-20%). You're right, that's certainly just a factor of MSRP, but I think it still speaks well of the S variant that it retains its premium over the course of six years and a market full of cheaper-priced non-S's to compete with. KBB-wise, I was just looking at S's but they did seem to match the price-range (hovering around individual sale and up to dealer used prices based on condition, and of course on Craigs most people were asking for the moon and more for their car).

Personally, I was comparing up against a 2000 M Roadster (of course I wanted 2001+, but talk about rare and expensive!), so having close or better torque and engine performance was important to me. At the end of the day I found an outstanding deal for an S from someone that lives 300 yards away from me, who could probably have sold it to carmax or something and made more money. Carfax and Porsche PPI later, the car was amazing, I grabbed it, haven't looked back since.

David N.
2000 Ocean Blue S
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote