View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #12
jsceash

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
this is a really interesting one, or at least was for me. I've always thought cars with equal power to weight would have the same acceleration and as a bonus the lower weight car would have less weight to turn and brake. Fixed power to weight time trial has shown me this is very wrong. The problem is that aerodynamic, and rotational drag (and other drag) represent a bigger percentage power loss to the lighter, lower power car. I was at Summit point last week and happened to find myself right next to an S2000 which has the same power to weight but 30 more horsepower. I exited turn 10 at a higher speed only to have him walk right by on the straight. You exit turn 10 at 100mph and my car just doesn't have the power to pull out of the turn like his does at that speed.

Motorcycles are an extreme example of this. They have tremendous power to weight but above 100mph they are dogs compared to cars.
The S2000 has a couple things you don't. It cranks to about 8200 RPM, and a 6 speed transmission. I agree that your best option is reduce weight. The rule would ban you from the type of mods that are being suggested here or at the very least cause you to be flipped into a higher class. The Power steering mod with electric PS pump is a good power saver. Then If you haven't done it yet remove the AC compressor, plumbing, and coils at the radiators. A second thing the AC delete does, it allows you to turn on the AC which automatically cycles on the radiator coolers but with the compressor out there is no power loss.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 04-19-2019 at 05:32 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote