Thread: AOS Frustration
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
Steelepuls

Garage
Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumaiek View Post
The tool looks super! I do have the new clamp from Pelican Parts with the clamp already on for the install.

The problem is not with the bellows. It is the squeeze clamp on the right side of the AOS that will not budge. I can sort of get both hands involved accessing it from the top of the engine - but it will not move. With 90k on the car and the fragility of that type of clamp (definitely made to be serviced when the engine is out of the car) I just have to consider treating it with care. If there is a clamp for that, it would be super (if it can operate in the tight confines). It would be disastrous if that connection were damaged. Once that connection is addressed I can then do the two bolts and really don't care if the bellows is destroyed in getting the old AOS out as I have the new replacement.
When I first removed my AOS from my 02 S, I had my son push the buttons while standing on the passenger side, and I was laying on top of the motor pushing with my thumbs from the driver side. Lay a blanket over the rear fender and motor so you don't scratch the paint. On another occasion, I did use a large screwdriver to give the edges a nudge while I pressed the button, when I was alone. Just don't put too much pressure with the screwdriver, just enough to get the oring seal to budge.
Its easy once that oring has been moved. Yes, I removed it twice, since I found I pinched the orange gasket going into the block on the first try. Pelican has the orange gasket. Only a few bucks.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote