View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #12
Paul
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Drive the car hard it will last forever, baby it, or let it sit, and it will punish you."

There is no data or evidence to support this contention. Quite the opposite.

Hammer your car and it will reward you by breaking down. Take it racing and you will need a budget for many many parts.

This is not a human body, it is a collection of moving metal parts, all subject to stress, wear and friction.

Now, changing the oil every 7500 miles is a good step for long life.

I would also use Red Line 5W-40 engine oil, the best out there in my opinion.

Good luck.
I have owned 14 Porsches since 1974 and have floored them every time I have driven them and shifted near redline and have never blown a motor. I have torn down some of them at 100,000 miles and could still see the cross hatching in the cylinders and the bearings tested within Porsche's service limit for used bearings. BTW I have always loosely followed Porsche's recommended oil change intervals including 12,000 miles or 6 months (IIRC) on my 1975. I have driven them coast to coast and on tracks and in the twisties for hundreds of thousands of miles.

There's some evidence for you!!!!

In regard to oil changes do you think you are smarter than Dr Porsche? Is Redline on the list of approved oils in Porsche's latest TSB?

BTW I agree about racing, it will use up the car, but driving the car on the streets the way Porsche intended (warm them up, have fun) based on my experiences will not harm the car. Leaving it sit, flooring it when cold, shifting at low rpms WILL harm it.

Last edited by Paul; 09-28-2006 at 05:08 PM.