View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
elgyqc

Garage
After a few more false starts and strategical retreats the disassembly is completed.
My clutch disk is toast but the flywheel and pressure plate are useable. I have prepared my parts list with a new release bearing, new F/W bolts and a clutch disk as well as all the other necessary bits and pieces. I am planning to change the drive-shaft boots since they are really hard even though they are still intact.
With the F/W off I locked the cams and inspected the IMSB without removing it. First, it is a dual row bearing and it looks perfect, turns smoothly and there is no looseness. I pulled the rear bearing seal and oil came out... I was surprised that it didn't smell burned and it looked relatively clean. The grease was totally gone.
At this point the plan is to change the seal on the IMS flange and put it back together. I watched the PCA videos with Jake Raby again and he explained the logic behind removing the seals to help lubricate the bearing. I feel confident with this procedure on this car at this time.

IMS bearing with the seal in place

With the seal removed

I have posted another thread with some lessons I learned while removing the transmission.
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/74990-clutch-removal-notes-my-current-project.html#post592728
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote